Ricky Rubio Facts
Minnesota Timberwolves basketball player
- Ricard "Ricky" Rubio i Vives was born October 21, 1990.
- He is a Spanish professional basketball player for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the NBA.
- At the age of 14, he became the youngest player ever to play in the Spanish ACB League.
- He made his Euroleague debut on October 24, 2006, at age 16.
- He is the first player born in the 1990s to play in a Euroleague game.
- he was drafted with the fifth pick in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft by the Timberwolves, making him the first player born in the 1990s to be drafted by the NBA.
- Timberwolves had an agreement in principle with his former Spanish team, DKV Joventut, to buy out his contract, but Rubio backed out of the deal.
- He was part of the Spanish team in the 2008 Olympics Basketball Tournament in Beijing, China and played against USA's "Redeem Team". His team won the Gold medal.
- On August 31, 2009, Joventut traded the rights to Rubio to FC Barcelona, and Rubio signed a six-year contract with FC Barcelona the following day.
- On May 31, 2011, Rubio reached an agreement with Minnesota to join the Timberwolves for the 2011–12 NBA season.
- On March 9, 2012, he had be carried off the court in the final 16 seconds after his left knee buckled after colliding into Kobe Bryant.
- He scored a career high 22 points on February 19, 2012 in a win over the Philadelphia 76ers.