Roman Abramovich Facts
Russian businessman, owner of Chelsea Football Club
- Abramovich was born on born 24 October 1966. Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich is his full name.
- He is named Person of the Year by Expert, a Russian business magazine, in 2003.
- He is the 9th richest person in Russia and the 53rd richest person in the world, according to the 2011 Forbes list, with an estimated fortune of $13.4 billion.
- He was born to a Russian Jewish family.
- He started his multi-billion-dollar business during his army service where he sold stolen gasoline to some of the commissioned officers of his unit.
- He served as the governor of Chukotka from 2000 to 2008.
- He was awarded the Order of Honour for his "huge contribution to the economic development of the autonomous district [of Chukotka]", by a decree signed by the President of Russia.
- He became the owner of Chelsea Football Club based in London in June 2003.
- He sponsors a foundation in Russia called the National Academy of Football.
- He married twice, to Olga Yurevna Lysova in December 1987 (divorced 1990), and to Irina Vyacheslavovna Malandina in October 1991 (divorced 2007).
- He boosts of his security staff to a 40 person "private army", making him one of the best protected businessmen in the world.
- In 2004, Abramovich bought two Maybach 62 limousines, which were customized to be bomb and bullet-proof and reportedly cost £1 million.