Rupert Murdoch Facts
American media mogul and the Chairman and CEO of News Corporation
- Murdoch's full name is Keith Rupert Murdoch AC. He was born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 11 March 1931.
- He started with a newspaper in Adelaide and expanded his newspaper empire in the UK, Asia and USA.
- In 1964, he started The Australian, the first national daily newspaper of Australia.
- He studied at Worcester College, Oxford.
- In 1985, he purchased the Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation along with several television stations. The next year, he founded the Fox Broadcasting Network.
- He purchased several small and medium book-publishing companies and merged them in 1990 to create HarperCollins Publishers.
- He purchased The Wall Street Journal, a leading business daily.
- In 1993, he purchased Star TV based in Hong Kong for $1 billion and started expanding in the Asia.
- According to Forbes Richest Americans of 2010, Murdoch is placed at 38th amongst Americans and 117 in the world.