A chemical compound essential for animals in small quantities
- Salt is a mineral composed of Sodium Chlordine.
- It is also popular as table salt, or rock salt.
- Salting helps in food preservation.
- Salt regulates water content in human body.
- Too much salt would lead to high blood pressure.
- 3750–5750 mg of salt per day is the generally recommended quantity of salt for human.
- Xiechi Lake near Yuncheng in Shanxi, China has a salt harvest dating back to 6000 BC.
- Raw salt can be obtained by evaporation of sea water. It needs to be refined to obtain food-grade salt.
- Iodinization of salt began in 1924.
- Salt reduction appears to have little or no effect on mortality.
- The Dead Sea is said to be the site of Sodom and Gomorrah. The salt concentration in it is so high that it allows the body to float easily with no effort at all.
- Salt is mandatory in the rite of the Tridentine Mass.
- In Aztec mythology, Huixtocihuatl was a fertility goddess who presided over salt and salt water.