Sandy Hook Facts
a Barrier split of eastern New Jersey
- Sandy Hook is 6 miles (10 km) in length and varying between 0.10 and 1 miles (0.16–1.6 km) width.
- It is located in Middletown Township in Monmouth County, along the Atlantic Ocean coast of eastern New Jersey in the United States.
- The Dutch called the area "Sant Hoek".
- The word "Hook" was derived from the Dutch "Hoek" (corner, angle), meaning "spit of land".
- Sandy Hook is owned by the federal government.
- Large part of the Hook is managed by the National Park Service.
- Gunnison Beach is one of the largest clothing optional beaches on the East Coast.
- The only road that connects to Sandy Hook is Route 36.