Country that is part of the United Kingdom
- Scotland constitutes over 790 islands including the Northern Isles and the Hebrides. As many as 130 islands are inhabited.
- Edinburgh is its capital and second largest city. Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland. Aberdeen and Dundee are other major cities.
- The Kingdom of Scotland emerged as an independent sovereign state in the Early Middle Ages and continued to exist until 1707.
- On 1 May 1707, Scotland entered into an incorporating political union with England to create the United Kingdom of Great Britain.
- Scotland is derived from the Latin Scoti, the term applied to Gaels, people from what is now Scotland and Ireland.
- With a population of 4.8 million in 1911, Scotland sent over half a million men to the World War I.
- The thistle is its Floral emblem. Unicorn is its official animal.
- The country is considered the home land of golf.
- Scotland is in the Greenwich Mean Time time zone.
- Scotch whisky is very famous.