Serena Williams Facts
American Professional Tennis Player
- The full name of Serena is Serena Jameka Williams.
- She was born on September 26, 1981.
- Serena is of African American heritage. The family are of the Jehovah's Witness faith.
- She was taught playing tennis by her father.
- Together with elder sister Serena Williams, they are popular as 'William Sisters'.
- She made her first professional event was in September 1995, at the age of 13
- Serena became World No. 1 for the first time in July 8, 2002.
- Serena has won two Olympic gold medals in women's doubles.
- She has won more career prize money than any other female athlete in history.
- The controversy of a 2004 US Open Match against Capriati in which several calls were given in favor of Capriati had led to the adoption of MacCam and Hawk-Eye systems.
- At the 2004 US Open, she wore denim skirts and knee-high boots but the tournament officials did not allow her to wear those boots.
- Serene is second only to Martina Hingis to score 6000 points in a year.
- Serena runs a designer line called Aneres (her name in reverse).
- She is the only female player to have won over $35 million in prize money.
- She has won more Major titles in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles than any other active player, male or female.