Rest position supported by the buttocks or thighs where the torso is more or less upright
- Sitting 6 plus hours per day makes you up to 40% likelier to die within 15 years than someone who sits less than 3. Even if you exercise.
- People with sitting jobs have twice the rate of cardiovascular disease as people with standing jobs.
- Obese people sit for 2.5 more hours per day than thin people.
- Sitting time increased 8% in the US between 1980 and 2000.
- Electrical activity in the leg muscles shuts off as soon as you sit.
- Calorie burning in body drops to 1 per minute as soon as you sit.
- Enzymes that help break down fat in body drop 90% as soon as you sit.
- After 2 hours of sitting, good cholesterol drops 20%
- After 24 hours of sitting, insulin effectiveness drops 24% and risk of diabetes rises.
- Walking burns 3-5 times the calories in the body that sitting does.
- Sitting 3 or more hours per day watching TV are 64% more likely to die from heart disease.
- Those who exercise but sit 3 or more hours per day in front of the TV are just as fat