Country in the African continent
- Somalia is a country that lies in the easternmost part of Africa.
- Since the 1991 Somali Civil War, there has been no central government control over most of the country's territory.
- The country is believed to be the most probable locations of the fabled ancient Land of Punt.
- In 1960, the Northern and Southern regions united to form an independent Somali Republic under a civilian government.
- Mohamed Siad Barre seized power in 1969 and established the Somali Democratic Republic.
- In 1991, Barre's government collapsed as the Somali Civil War broke out.
- The northwestern part of the country remained relatively peaceful and self-declared itself as Somaliland but was still un-recognized.