Sonia Gandhi Facts
Italian-born Indian politician and the President of the Indian National Congress
- Sonia Gandhi was born as Edvige Antonia Albina Maino on December 9, 1946 at Lusiana, Italy.
- Her father is a building mason.
- She met Rajiv Gandhi when he was studying at the Trinity College at the University of Cambridge in 1965. Sonia was working at a Greek restaurant as a waitress at that time. The couple married in 1968 and moved to India.
- Sonia was a housewife for a long time and took care of the house.
- She stayed away from politics for a while even after the death of Rajiv Gandhi in 1991 and pressure from the Congress Party which requested for her political entry.
- She joined the Indian National Congress in 1997 and was elected as the leader of the Congress in 1998.
- She is the Chairperson of the ruling United Progressive Alliance in the Lok Sabha since 2004.
- Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Vadra are her children.
- In August 2011, she underwent a successful surgery for some ailment in the USA. The details of her ailment is unknown.
- She has Honorary Doctorates from University of Madras and Brussels University and Order of King Leopold from the Government of Belgium.