South Africa Facts
Country located at the southern tip of Africa
- The country has nine provinces.
- Eleven official languages are recognised in the constitution
- 79.5% of the South African population is of black African ancestry.
- A quarter of the population is unemployed.
- South Africa has some of the oldest archaeological and human fossil sites in the world. Recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site, they are termed the Cradle of Humankind.
- Diamonds are discovered in 1867. Gold was discovered in the region in 1884.
- The discovery of previous metals has let to the Mineral Revolution and increased economic growth and immigration.
- The country held its first universal elections in 1994.
- ANC won the first election and was in power ever since.
- [Soccer|Football]], Rugby and Cricket are popular sports.
- South Africa hosted and won the 1995 Rugby World Cup and won the 2007 Rugby World Cup in France.