Stanford University Facts
Private University with campus located near Palo Alto, California.
- In Stanford’s first year, 1891, 39 men and 12 women from 19 states registered in graduate standing, representing one of the first opportunities for graduate study on the West Coast.
- The University was established in 1891. It was founded by founded by Leland Stanford and is now located in California, USA.
- The actual name of the university is Leland Stanford Junior University. Jane and Leland Stanford founded the University in 1885 in memory of their only son, Leland Stanford, Jr., who died of typhoid fever one month before his 16th birthday.
- The University motto is 'Die Luft der Freiheit weht' (German) which means 'The wind of freedom blows'.
- The Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources (SULAIR) hold a collection of nearly 9 million volumes, 260,000 rare or special books, 1.5 million e-books, 1.5 million audiovisual materials, 75,000 serials, 6 million microform holdings, and thousands of other digital resources, making it one of the largest and most diverse academic library systems in the world.