Stock exchange Facts
Place where stock brokers and traders trade stocks, bonds, and other securities
- Share market is believed to have been existing since the ages of the Romans.
- A nroker named John Castaing, operating out of Jonathan's Coffee House, was the first to regularly keep posting lists of stock and commodity prices in and around 1698. These lists became the London Stock Exchange.
- The Dow Jones stock market index first started in the year 1896.
- The earliest modern 'stock market' began in May 17, 1792 when 24 stock brokers and merchants signed the Buttonwood Agreement.
- The first stock ticker was invented by Edward A. Calahan in 1867.
- The first stock exchange in the United States is the Philadelphia Stock Exchange founded in 1790.
- The Massachusetts Investors Trust was the first official mutual fund, created on March 21st, 1924.
- NASDAQ, established on February 8, 1971, is the world's first electronic stock exchange.
- The first exchange traded fund, or ETF, was SPDR. It was cretaed in 1993 by State Street Global Advisors and tracks the S&P 500 stock index.