A organ of the digestion system
- The Stomach is involved in the second phase of digestion, following mastication (chewing).
- It is located between the esophagus and the small intestine.
- The stomach secretes protein-digesting enzymes called proteases.
- The word stomach is derived from the Latin stomachus.
- People can live even without a stomach for sometime, in case if it was removed because of a disease.
- The stomach has Hydrochloric Acid which kills bacteria and provides acidic conditions to the enzyme protease.
- The frog throws up its stomach first. Hence, its stomach is dangling out of its mouth.
- A Starfish can turn its stomach inside out.
- A Moth has no stomach.
- Burping is a way of removing air that is swallowed into the stomach.