Summer Olympic Games Facts
International multi-sport event
- The first Summer Olympics organized by the IOC were held in Athens, Greece, in 1896.
- The United States has hosted four Summer Olympics Games, more than any other nation.
- Five countries – Greece, Great Britain, France, Switzerland, and Australia (twice combined with New Zealand as Australasia) – have been represented at all Summer Olympic Games.
- The only country to have won at least one gold medal at every Summer Olympic Games is Great Britain, ranging from one gold in 1904, 1952 and 1996 to fifty-six golds in 1908.
- The XXIX Summer Olympic Games were held in 2008 at Beijing, China.
- The 2012 Summer Olympics will held at London, Great Britain followed by the 2016 Summer Olympics at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- United States participated in all Summer Olympics except in 1980 which it boycotted. Many other nations too boycotted because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, though some athletes from some of the boycotting countries participated in the games, under the Olympic Flag. Later, the Soviet boycotted the 1984 Summer Olympics.