Using operative manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to treat a pathological condition
- Surgery is generally performed in a hospital in an operation theatre using surgical instruments.
- A surgeon is a person who practises surgery.
- A Surgery that does not involve a medical emergency is an elective surgery, such as a Cosmetic surgery.
- Trepanation is one of the oldest surgery that involved drilling a hole in the [[Skull] and removing dura mater in order to treat medical problems.
- Ancient Egypt scriptures dating back by 3500 years ago described surgeries.
- Asclepius is the Greek healer-god.
- The Greek Galen was one of the greatest surgeons of the ancient world.
- Ambroise Pare pioneered the treatment of gunshot wounds.
- The first modern surgeons were battlefield doctors in the Napoleonic Wars.
- Modern pain control through anesthesia was discovered by Crawford Long.
- Barber surgeons of Europe perform common operations such as wound dressings and amputations, particularly to soldiers.
- The first cornea transplant was held in 1905.