UEFA Champions League Facts
Annual football competition
- UEFA Champions League is conducted annually by Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) since 1955.
- The championship is amongst top football clubs of Europe.
- As many as 178 million television viewers watch the finals of the match every year.
- Before 1992, the championship is called European Champion Clubs' Cup.
- UEFA Champions League is different from the UEFA Europa League or the UEFA Cup.
- Real Madrid is the most successful club in the competition's history.
- UEFA Champions League anthem was written by Tony Britten.
- The chorus contains the three official languages used by UEFA: English, German, and French.
- The competition is held in a round-robin group stage of 32 teams at the beginning.
- Jens Lehmann playing in the 2005-06 season finals was the first player to be sent off because of tackling a player in a finals match of the league.
- The finals of 2011–12 UEFA Champions League will be played at the Allianz Arena in Munich, Germany between Bayern Munich and Chelsea.
- Clarence Seedorf of Netherlands is the only footballer to have won UEFA Champions League title playing for three different teams - Ajax in 1995, Real Madrid in 1998 and AC Milan in 2003 & 2007.