United States Dollar Facts
Official currency of the US
- The US Dollar (US$) is the official currency of the United States.
- It the most used currency in international transactions and is one of the world's dominant reserve currencies.
- The pure silver dollar is known as the American Silver Eagle.
- USD notes are made from cotton fiber paper, unlike most common paper, which is made of wood fiber.
- U.S. coins are produced by the United States Mint.
- U.S. dollar banknotes are printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
- Since 1914, the notes are issued by the Federal Reserve.
- The first United States dollar was minted in 1794 and is known as the Flowing Hair Dollar.
- The $1 U.S. Presidential dollar coin was introduced in February 2007.
- From 1774 through 2009 the U.S. dollar has lost about 96.4% of its buying power.
- US government maintains over 800 billion US dollars in cash money in circulation.