Vijay Mallya Facts
Indian liquor, businessman and airline baron
- Vijay Mallya is the chairman of the United Breweries Group and Kingfisher Airlines. He is an Indian liquor and airline baron.
- He is the son of industrialist Vittal Mallya. He was born on 18 December 1955 in Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
- He is also an MP in the Indian Rajya Sabha.
- He also co-owns the Formula One team Force India, the Indian Premier League team Bangalore Royal Challengers,the I-League teams Mohun Bagan A.C and East Bengal FC.
- According to Forbes, his personal wealth is estimated to be $1.4 billion.
- He owns the Indian Empress yatch.
- He was educated at La Martiniere Calcutta, where he was a House Captain in the '72 batch, and at St. Xavier's College, Calcutta, which he graduated from in '75 with a B. Com degree.
- He took over as Chairman of United Breweries Group in 1984 from his father.
- In 2003, he established Kingfisher Airlines.
- He owns the TATA industries Newspapers which serve Marin County, California where he maintains a home and stores a portion of his car collection.
- In 2004, he placed the winning bid of £175,000 for the sword of Tipu Sultan at an auction in London, and brought it back to India.
- In March 2009, Mallya successfully bid for the belongings of Mahatma Gandhi at US$1.8 million, in a New York auction that initially caused an uproar in India and its government tried and failed to prevent it from going under the hammer.
- He owns a TV channel called NDTV Good Times.
- He establishment of Mallya Hospital in Bangalore.
- He entered politics in 2000 as a member of the Janata Party.