A dairy product
- Yogurt is produced by bacterial fermentation of milk.
- Cow's milk is most commonly used to make it.
- The word 'Yogurt' is derived from Turkish word 'yogurt' which means 'to thicken' or from 'yogurur' which means 'long life'.
- First use of yogurt dates back to 500 BCE in the cultures of India and Iran.
- Oldest writings mentioning yogurt are attributed to Pliny the Elder.
- Eating yogurt has shown to improve bad breath.
- Americans eat over 300,000 tons of yogurt a year.
- Because of the fermentation process, yogurt can easily be digested by many people who are lactose-intolerant.
- Frozen yogurt was first introduced to the world in the early 1970s in New England.
- In the US, fruit was first added to commercial produced yogurt in 1946.
- The Yoghurt bacteria can relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Yoghurt helps to fight against vaginal yeast infections.